Director of Programs
OurCalling is a discipleship ministry specifically focused on the homeless community and we operate an outreach center for the homeless near downtown Dallas. We are passionate about loving and helping the unsheltered homeless (our “Guests”) transition to better lives. We are a faith-based, discipleship ministry where every job is a ministry position. Each staff member should be able to clearly share the Gospel and communicate their own testimony. While everyone on the team wears multiple hats, our primary function is evangelism and discipleship. We want everything that we do to point to Jesus.
The Director of Programs (the “Director”) is a primary spiritual pastor and leader within the leadership team of OurCalling. The Director is responsible for leading and developing the Care and Spiritual Discipleship strategies, programs and their delivery to our homeless Guests for OurCalling ministries. This role is responsible for developing and leading a “Care Team” of care ministers who play both a chaplain role and a case worker role serving our homeless population. This is frontline engagement to develop individual and personal relationships with guests that will ultimately offer our Care Teams insights in how to love and guide people into 1) a personal and meaningful relationship with Jesus Christ, and 2) a path off of the streets.
- Oversight of the Programs Department and leading a team of Men’s and Women’s Care Ministers including a Search and Rescue Team (street outreach), and leading and developing volunteers into this ministry work
- Serves on the Leadership Team which collaboratively runs the overall ministry. This includes liaising with the Operations, Administration, Development, and Finance and Accounting Departments, and proactively supporting the development and implementation of cross-ministry strategies and programs.
- Provides spiritual guidance to our Guests through relationship building, evangelism and discipleship through hands-on support of our front-line Care Ministers and their individual work with Guests. The Director will also develop a caseload of individual guests that they work with in a chaplaincy and advocate role.
- Provide practical solutions that reinforce the dignity of our Guests while helping them escape the streets into specific programs provided by our partners. These may include returning Guest’s to their own families, enrolling in local shelters, recovery programs, short- or long-term housing, transportation help, medical and mental health providers, and others.
- Identify and develop relationships and procedures with specific partner organizations described previously
- Develop appropriate boundaries within the ministry to protect all stakeholders while delivering excellent service
- Provide strategic guidance drawing from experience, “best practices” research, and creativity, homeless recovery solutions that may be implemented within the mission of OurCalling ministry
- Develop, implement and maintain Program policies and procedures
- Deliver monthly reporting to leadership based on specific key performance indicators
- Prepare reports for and attend BOD and other committee meetings as requested
- Develop with the CFO and manage the annual Programs Budget
- Oversee and manage Care Ministry personnel including clear responsibility, authority, accountability and support
- Support the Director of Development and the Development Department related to grants, donor development, and various fundraising initiatives and systems
- Plan and lead periodic Programs Department team meetings
- Actively engage in personnel development process ensuring all Programs staff are trained on policies and procedures, personal care techniques, and vocational development necessary for each Care Minister to be effective in their individual roles (including Bible study, case-work techniques and systems, etc.)
- Respond to public and partner inquiries
- Attend and help with leadership retreats
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in human relations-related work such as social services, ministry, psychology, sociology, etc., strongly preferred
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience working in ministry to the homeless, through housing, recovery, mental illness, or other services, required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, required
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience managing a ministry team of men and women, required
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrable track record as a servant leader, working effectively to support, develop and motivate others
- Displays core values of humility, respect for others, compassion and excellence
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, time management, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to assist in, set, and uphold appropriate “boundaries” on behalf of the ministry, the Care Team, volunteers and our homeless Guests
- Comfortable with Apple, Microsoft Office, Google, and other software systems
- Experience in developing and implementing appropriate processes and policies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to message effectively and write with proficiency in grammar and spelling
- Interpersonal skills to handle situations with confidentiality, poise, and tact
- Ability to assess and implement improvements
- Ability to balance the needs of individuals with the needs of the ministry
- Willingness to have difficult conversations with Guests, subordinates, volunteers, coworkers, speaking the truth in love
- Ability to listen well and accept constructive feedback
- Upholding a close and growing relationship as a disciple of Jesus Christ
Position Title: Director of Programs
Reports to: Executive Director (ED)
Direct Reports: Programs, Team Leaders
This position is: Full Time and Exempt
Please submit resume and cover letter briefly explaining your interest and qualifications for this position to .